10/07/2011

Book Review: Practical Turkish Course for Foreigners


So 45 liras is quite an investment. But it goes a long way. Dr Mufit Yildirim Alp is a distiguished expert on lanuages and taught Turkish in the United States for many years.

I recommend this book as a way of accessing Turkish for many reasons. Firstly, it doesn't waste too much time early on with useful but unimportant conversation killers like "how are you" "i'm from England" "my name is Mehmet" ect. It offers exactly what it says on the cover. Practical Turkish.

Secondly, I love way a digestable amount of vocabulary is joined with at least two grammar points in each chapter. The beauty of this in later chapters is that only one of those grammar points will be the focus, whilst one sentence will contain a small grammar point that hasn't been commented upon by the author thus encouraging investigation on the reader's part. Also, Yildirim Alp deals with the first pages with great humour. Simple grammar conversations can be scrunitising to read out as an English teacher, but the writer allows himself a smug joke here and there with ridiculous lines and names. I mean, it's not comedy-award winning don't get me wrong, but if learning a language is about communicating personality then the writer should be noted as one who can do just that.

I'm not big on courses and homework. I can see how this would be a great book accompanied by a course, but I got alot by using this on my own and I that's credit to how user-friendly it is. I finished about half-way through and made out on my own in Turkey after that - but as I read more Turkish I know I can get more from refering to this book from time-to-time.

Worth every penny.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book. I studied it with a tutor. I am done with about 60% of the book. It's a massive book. The good points are that it recycles a lot of vocabulary i.e. repeats a lot of it. Your vocabulary increases substantially, and your reading skills progressively improve. It focuses more on reading, grammar. It's more in tune with the old Grammar Translation Method mixed with the Audio-lingual method. That doesn't help tremendously with communication, but if you have enough of repeated in later chapters you will get it. I don't discount those old methods' strengths. You'll come out with a large a vocabulary and the ability to read many things if you can get through 200 pages of the material. I have a Turkish Skype teacher who doesn't charge me too much. We're on page 240. I have 200 more pages to go. I am happy that my ability to read and my knowledge of vocabulary have sky rocketed. I will soon start focusing again on communication. This won't directly work on communication. This is not a book I would recommend for self-study. Some stuff would be hard to digest alone once you really advance and get to say chapter 9. Also, the author needs to update some of the readings. No one makes telephone calls from the post office in Turkey anymore. I am glad I have the book in the end. I paid 60 liras for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i ordered this book, but the cd with the audio recordings was not included. does anyone happen to have the cd? i'd be very grateful if someone could upload it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i ordered this book, but the cd with the audio recordings was not included. does anyone happen to have the cd? i'd be very grateful if someone could upload it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i ordered this book, but the cd with the audio recordings was not included. does anyone happen to have the cd? i'd be very grateful if someone could upload it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete